Thursday, October 26, 2017

Greek Lentil Salad


Crunchy, sweet, savory and so healthy! Make up a bunch of this and enjoy it throughout the week.  

We had this salad recently at a great Greek restaurant in Vancouver BC (The Greek by Anatoli) and immediately loved it.  Such a different assortment of flavors and textures, and very satisfying too. I just knew I needed to make it when I got home.

I buy the Trader Joe's French Lentils regularly and love them.  I used one full package in this recipe, which is about 2 cups. I used the last of the fresh corn, but I think frozen corn, or even canned (and drained) corn would work in a pinch.  

In full disclosure, the photo above is from our meal at the restaurant because I forgot to take a picture of mine!  I made this for a family party of about 20 people and it was a big hit, and my sister asked me to blog it. My photo (if I had one...) would look a bit different....I forgot to buy kale.. so used fresh spinach instead (more people like spinach in my opinion).  I also added the feta at the last minute, and I really think most dishes are improved by feta.

Makes enough for 8-10 (keeps well for lunches)
Ingredients

16 oz French green lentils, dried (about 2 cups)
4 cups water or broth
1 tsp salt
1 red bell pepper, diced small
2 ears of fresh corn, parboiled and cut off the cob (or 1 1/2 cups frozen, thawed)
9 oz bag of baby spinach, chopped- About 2 cups chopped (kale is also a good substitute
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup olive oil
Juice of one lemon
1/2 tsp garlic powder, or a couple cloves fresh garlic, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste

Greek Yogurt for topping, sprinkle with a bit of cumin, if desired

In a saucepan over medium high heat, add all the lentils, salt and 4 cups of water.  Bring to a gentle boil and then reduce heat to low simmer until they are cooked, about 30 minutes.  They should be firm, but not hard.  Drain and let cool.

In a large bowl, add the diced bell pepper, the corn and the shredded spinach (or kale).  Add the lentils, the olive oil, lemon and spices.  Stir to combine.  Adjust seasoning with more salt and pepper.  Add feta and combine, sprinkle top with a bit more feta and a dollop of yogurt.
Serve either chilled, or at room temperature.

Need some regular cooking or travel ideas?  "Like" my Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment