Saturday, April 1, 2017

Baked Crab Rangoon


I think we can all admit, crab and cream cheese are awesomely delicious, especially when baked to a crispy perfection.  I'm fully aware Crab Rangoon is one of those American "Asian" appetizers...  and didn't originate in Burma at all. I've been thinking of making this recipe for some time, but really needed a reason to do it. 

Last month, we had a family birthday with a Korean theme menu- my sister made some fantastic chicken bulgogi and my mom brought her famous kimchi.  I was supposed to bring an appetizer. Hmmmm, that's kind of tricky,  you know?  I can't name a Korean appetizer off the top of my head, but maybe you can?  So, I settled on Crab Rangoon.  I

n the below picture, you can see I used canned crab.  I love fresh crab more, of course, but honestly, this is cheaper, easier and pretty darn good!  We bought this at the Business Costco for $9.99 for a 1 lb can (it's sold refrigerated, but it lasts a long time), but unfortunately, we have not seen it at a regular Costco.  I highly recommend this canned crab, just think how easy Baked Crab dip would be if you had one of these in your fridge?

I baked my Crab Rangoon because I think deep frying things is messy and tedious, plus it's certainly more healthy to bake these. 


Makes a bunch, serves a crowd
Ingredients

1 pkg og won ton wrappers
1 lb crab (I used canned)
8 oz pkg of cream cheese, softened
1/2 can of water chestnuts, chopped or substitute 1/2 cup chopped celery
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp soy sauce
Salt & Pepper, as needed
Toasted sesame seeds (optional, garnish)

Dipping sauce
2 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp rice vinegar
2 tsp garlic hot sauce
2 tsp sesame oil
Make the dipping sauce by mixing all the ingredients above together.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Mix all the filling ingredients together, being careful to not over mix the crab and break it into a "mush", it's nice to have some crab lumps in there. Taste the filling, adjust seasoning as needed.

You will need small tart tins, as muffin tins will be too big.  Spray, or oil, the tins and set near your work area.

Take two wonton wrappers and cross each layer like the photo below.



Use a tablespoon, or small cookie scoop, and add the filling in the middle of the wonton.
The amount shown below is a bit much... might want to do a bit less. Carefully pinch it together using  your thumb and 3 fingers and push into the tart pan.  It should "flower" up on the sides and look nice!



Here they are all ready to go in the oven.  In this case, I brought them to my sister's house like this to bake there.



Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes, or until hot and crispy.  Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and serve.


Here's some pictures of the family dinner ready to be served up.  This was a buffet as we had about 20 people for dinner that night. Below, a couple of Asian-like salads with a slaw and a marinated cucumber salad.  Mom's kimchi was a hit.



Marinated chicken thigh bulgogi was SO good.  All my sisters are great cooks. 
You may notice that my sister also has the same Villeroy & Boch china that I have to, in case you are wondering!



No comments:

Post a Comment