Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Black eyed Pea Salad with Lime, Cumin & Cilantro


This salad came to be while I was making another salad, the Spanish Chickpea and Tuna salad I posted yesterday.  While I was cutting up the veggies, I started thinking of the bag of frozen black eyed peas that I had thawed, that was sitting in the fridge waiting for me to become inspired. I didn't intend to blog this one, but it was so good I had to share. Sorry for the lack of photos here.

Making two salads at once it a real time saver, and on a hearty salad like this one, and the one from yesterday, they are good keepers for your lunches, plus they are very healthy!

NOTE(S):
  • While I used frozen black eyed peas for this, I suggest the canned for this recipe.  I think they are a bit more tender and flavorful.
  • Also, I had some leftover smoked chicken breasts in the fridge, which I cubed up and threw into the salad when someone requested a "meaty" salad.
  • Other veggies would be good too... tomatoes, jalapenos, cucumbers.  What have you got, what do you like?
Makes about 5 cups
Ingredients

2 cans (15 oz) black eyed peas, drained and rinsed.
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup bell pepper, diced small (I used a combo of yellow and red)
1/4 cup red or white onions (or even green onions)
Juice of 1-2 limes (about 2 Tbsp) 
2 Tbsp oil (olive or vegetable)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups of cooked chicken, diced (optional)

In a large bowl, add the black eyed peas, cilantro, peppers, onions. Combine well.  Add the lime juice, olive oil and spices.  Stir and adjust flavors with salt and pepper.  Add chicken, if using.  Allow flavors to stand and meld for 15-20 minutes before serving.


Need some regular ideas on food, or travel"Like" my Facebook page



4 comments:

  1. I need to make this one for my "someone." Every New Years he makes wishful noises about his southern roots and memories of his grandmother cooking black eyed peas, collard greens and ham. (greens are the good luck "bills" and the peas are the "cents" in the traditional southern lucky New Years meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always know this as Texas Caviar. But without the chicken added.

    ReplyDelete