Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Grilled Summer Squash with Pecans & Blue Cheese


I liked the picture of the ingredients more than the picture of the finished dish...
I liked the recipe the second I saw this in the edition of Food & Wine June 2016, I wanted to make it.
But sadly, I did not follow all the instructions.
Either that, or I did not give good direction to the Hubster when he went out to grill.
Can you repeat "al dente" after me?

YES... do not, do NOT overcook the squash. 
 You don't want a squishy texture, you want barely cooked with the yumminess of blue cheese and the crunch of pecans.
You do, believe me.
I love this dish and I will make it again, but we will be super vigilant to ensure the squash is undercooked.
Or, you can follow the directions from Food & WIne below and remove the part most likely to get squishy.    


Serves 4-6
Ingredients

    1/2 cup pecan halves
    1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
    Kosher salt
    Pepper
    2 pounds mixed zucchini and summer squash
    1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest plus 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 teaspoon thyme leaves (I used dried, but I think fresh would be better...)
    2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
    Grilled bread, for serving

Preheat the oven to 375°. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the pecans with the butter and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and roast until fragrant and browned, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely, then coarsely chop.

Quarter the zucchini and summer squash lengthwise and cut off the soft, seedy centers. In a large bowl, toss all of the squash with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. 

Light a grill. Grill all of the squash over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred and tender, about 10 minutes. Cut the zucchini and summer squash into 2-inch lengths; transfer to a large bowl. 

In a small bowl, whisk the lemon zest and juice with the honey, thyme and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Add the lemon vinaigrette to the grilled squash and toss. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the crumbled blue cheese and toasted pecans. Serve with grilled bread, or serve as a side dish/salad.

Need some regular ideas?  "Like" my Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment