Sunday, June 26, 2016

Savory Parmesan Dutch Baby Breakfast



I'm not too much of a sweet breakfast person, so while I love traditional Dutch Babies served with powdered sugar, it's just too much some days.
I felt this would be perfect for a nice relaxing Sunday brunch, and had to give this a try.

The Parmesan cheese on the top bakes into a glorious crunchy, salty topping for the puffed and golden eggs.  A squeeze of lemon, a touch of hot sauce (if you are like that... I definitely am!), and enjoy!

Here's a close up of the top after removing from the oven. 
Yum!

This one was good enough to satisfy for a light Meatless Monday dinner too!


I saw this New York times article and I couldn't wait to try this. I didn't change much of anything in this recipe, though I did sub whip cream (1/2 cup, 1/4 water) for the 3/4 cup of whole milk.


Note:  I used a 10" cast iron pan and it almost went over the top!  Maybe put a cookie sheet below your pan, just in case.

 
Serves 4-6
Ingredients
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
8 large eggs
¾ cup whole milk
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme
2 tablespoons minced chives, parsley or tarragon
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
¾ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Gruyère

Flaky sea salt, for garnish
Sriracha, for serving (optional)
Lemon wedges, for serving

First, grate your Parmesan. I love to use my microplaner for super soft fluffy mounds of hard cheeses.


Heat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Whisk wet ingredients into dry until just combined. Stir in thyme and the other herbs.


Melt the butter in a heavy 12-inch ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Let it cook until it smells nutty and browns, about 5 to 7 minutes, then swirl skillet so that butter coats bottom of pan.  Be sure not to burn it, go low and slow.


Pour batter into brown buttery pan and scatter cheese and flaky salt over the top. Here's what mine looked like.


Bake until puffed and golden, about 23-5 minutes. Serve with sriracha and lemon wedges on the side.


Need some regular ideas?  "Like" my Facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment