Saturday, January 23, 2016

Roasted Cabbage with Horseradish Dijon Sauce

 
Some of you are so disgusted by this thought.
But then again, you are reading this, so let me tell you why I like this as I know there are lots of haters out there.

Everyone knows roasting is the best way to eat lots of different veggies, and if you don't I'd suggest you fire up the oven and have a go at it!!! 
I happen to like cabbage but if you don't normally like it, this may do the trick.  
The cabbage is sweet, with crispy edges and some softness and crunch both.  Having a nice little horseradish and djion sauce on the side really rounds it out.

We ate this last night with steaks and a nice bottle of wine.  I liked it so much I had the leftovers for brunch with two fried eggs.  I mean, why not?

I'm thinking this idea would be good for a soup too, but I need to keep thinking of that. I DO have a 1/2 a cabbage in there, so I am going to have to do it soon.  Got it... cook it.    
 

NOTE- Preheat the oven to about 450 before you do anything!

Makes 4 
Ingredients

1/2 cabbage, cut into 4 equal wedges
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper

1/4 cup onion, minced
3 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp horseradish sauce
1 Tbsp Dijon
Water, as needed 

Make sure your oven is good and hot, preheat it to 450.  I add my baking sheet so it's hot too.  Then add the pre-done cabbage... but wait, I'm getting ahead of myself.
 
Cut the cabbage into 4 equal wedges.  Cut all the way through the core, this helps to keep the wedge intact. Drizzle (or brush) olive oil on each wedge, add salt and pepper.  Add to the hot pan and set the timer for 10 minutes.  You will flip the wedges after 10 minutes, and then continue roasting for another 10 minutes.


While the cabbage is roasting, start making the sauce.  I used a small fry pan, melted the butter and sauteed the onions for 3-5 minutes over medium high heat.  Add the horseradish sauce and the Dijon mustard and stir well.  Here's the sauce 


After the cabbage had roasted for a total of 20 minutes, I fired up the broiler and gave it another 3-5 minutes under the broiler.  Watch it, don't let it burn.
I like the look of the charred bits.


My sauce started to "break" which is when it looks a bit buttery/oily.  I added a bit of hot water and stirred.  It turned back into a nice creamy sauce


Serve at once, pouring the sauce over the wedges and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment