Saturday, January 9, 2016

Enchilada Spaghetti Squash Boats




I saw this on Facebook.
Yep, one of those silly little "recipes" where the video shows some hands throwing things together in like, 30 seconds, or something.  I must say I like those silly little videos.  Usually they have some great ideas, and simple inspiration.  Well, it worked on me.  I saw this one and wanted to try it.

Though, I struggled calling this Enchilada Squash Boats... sounds awful, doesn't it?
We loved this. It was kind of liked Mexican baked spaghetti, very satisfying and good for you.  No one at my house even mentioned that there was no meat in it.... success for a meatless meal.

It's super easy to make your own enchilada sauce too!  Here's my recipe

Serves 2 (but easy to double)
Ingredients

1 small spaghetti squash
1/2 cup Enchilada sauce
1/4 cup Cilantro
1/4 cup Green onions
1/4 cup Chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup bell pepper
2/3 cup Shredded cheese


Bake a small spaghetti squash in a 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes. Using a pot holder, take a fork and shred each side, leaving it in the shell.  It should shred easily.  


Here's what I used in mine, green onions, cilantro, pickled jalapenos and orange bell pepper.  I chopped it all up and added about half to the "boats" and reserved the rest for topping the dish before serving.


I just layered it on top, but you could also mix it in.


Add the enchilada sauce, I like a lot, so I used about 1/4 cup per shell. I had preheated the enchilada sauce just to reduce the amount of time to finish it in the oven and melt the cheese. However, I don't think it really makes that much difference, you could use it right out of the can too.


Add cheese... I had both some grated and some slices, so I used both.


Add back to the 400 degree oven and bake until the cheese is melted and getting bubbly around the edges. Top with some more of cilantro, green onions, whatever you like.  Avocado and sour cream would be nice too.


No comments:

Post a Comment