Friday, November 27, 2015

Apple Parsnip Soup


I can't say this was my favorite soup. 
And you know I love soup. Love.

Everywhere I have been looking lately, I see soups with root veggies and apples.  
However, I am not sure I am a huge fan.

It's not often that I cannot salvage something and make it something yummy.  
I mean, there's always something you do to save it.  
More stock, a bit of acid (like lemon or vinegar) more salt & pepper.
But this one, this one was just too sweet for me.  My hubby refused to eat it.  
Parsnips, apples and apple cider are all sweet- combined in soup it is just too much.
Though, I did eat it, and kept thinking how I might change it if I was going to make it again.
I've made some notes below.

A couple of things I can say about this soup is that I do think that kids would really love it.  
Warm, sweet with a hint of spice.  I think they would like it.
It could also be a good with a salty, grilled ham and cheese sandwich. 



Serves about 8
Ingredients

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup onion
1 garlic clove
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated  
2 cups apples, peeled and chopped  (Suggest reducing to one cup instead...)
4 cups stock, vegetable or chicken
3 cups parsnip, peeled and chopped
1 cup apple cider (suggest omit this and replacing with more stock)

Saute onions and garlic for 3-5 minutes over medium heat in a dutch oven or 6 qt soup pot.  
Stir in the curry powder and fresh (or dried) ginger.
Add stock and the chopped apples and parsnips.
Cook covered, 30 minutes
Blend until smooth with a stick blender, or in batches in your regular blender.

Serve with sour cream or cream fraiche, and a sprinkling of chives or green onions.




No comments:

Post a Comment