Thursday, October 1, 2015

Creamed Spinach with French Fried Onions


I am NO fan of the famed Green Bean Casserole for Thanksgiving.
I respect that it may be a favorite of yours.
I get that.  I just don't want it.
However, I just found something that I would want:
Creamed Spinach with French Fried Onions.
Maybe you'd want this one too.
It contains no icky canned creamed condensed soup either.

My inspiration for this dish (besides a huge new tub of baby spinach from Costco?)?
I will admit to having a half used container of French's Fried onions in my fridge longer than someone should.  I think I used them on a salad this Summer sometime.. but really what do you do with leftover french fried onions besides nibble on them as you peruse the fridge's contents of the fridge wondering WHAT is for dinner tonight?  

Sorry, no picture of the ingredients today... this recipe came together too fast and I had not intention of blogging it until I took the first bite.

Serves 2
Ingredients

1 small onion, chopped
3 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp flour
1/3 cup half & half
4 cups of baby spinach (2 huge handfuls)
Salt & Pepper
1/2 cup grated Italian blend cheese, or other white cheese
1/2 cup of French's Fried Onions

Preheat oven to 375.  Get a small baking dish, or 2 small individual dishes ready to go.

Saute onions in butter until wilted and starting to brown.
Add the flour, and stir.  Add half & half, a pinch of salt, and stir adding the spinach, stirring to wilt.


 Add to mini baking dishes, add cheese then fried onions.


Bake for 20 minutes, or until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment