Sunday, May 17, 2015

Shrimp and Mango Cobb


I do know this is not a "Cobb" in the traditional sense of the word, which... my friends... is EXACTLY why I am doing it.  I do love a Cobb salad with chicken, blue cheese and bacon, but sometimes its just too rich.  You know?

I saw this salad at a local Anthony's Homeport restaurant and thought, YES!  This is what I want.  While the salad wasn't quite everything I could want, as I have high expectations, here's my version.



Serves 4
Ingredients

1 lb Shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed (I use the Costco ones that are ready to go)
2 mangos, peeled and diced
4 eggs, hard boiled then sliced
1/2 cup bacon, cooked and sliced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup feta, cubed
1/4 cup green onions

6 cups Spring greens, or other lettuces

Lime and cilantro dressing:
3 limes, juiced
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 tsp dried mustard
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

In a blender, add the lime juice, the cilantro and dry mustard.  Blend, and with the motor running, pour a stream of oil into the blender.  Blend until the dressing is slightly thickened and only has a few flecks of green.  Taste, add the salt and pepper to your liking.  
Note- Some people like a sweeter dressing, if so, add a tsp of sugar or honey.


Thaw shrimp, you can do this overnight if you plan ahead, otherwise you can use the water method, but it is not ideal.
Hard boil the eggs
Make the dressing.
If you need a fool proof method, check this link for Perfect Hard Boiled Eggs Everytime!

When ready to eat, toss the greens with a small amount of dressing.  You just want a bit of flavor, you will pass additional dressing when you serve the salads.  Add the greens to a plate and start to make rows, or sections, of each of the ingredients.  I did it like this:


Color order on salad
  1. white- feta
  2. pink- shrimp
  3. orange- mango
  4. red tomatoes
  5. dk red- bacon
  6. green- onions
  7. white/yellow- eggs

1 comment:

  1. Piper, this is fabulous. How about adding it to the Food on Friday: Prawns & Shrimp collection? Cheers from Carole's chatter

    ReplyDelete