Friday, May 29, 2015

Mama's Fish House - Maui

Mama's Fish House on Maui gets credit for being the best place to eat on Maui.
Often times it isn't true and the "best place" really isn't.
I am happy to report, in this case, it IS!

We decided to splurge for our 30th anniversary. We booked a perfect sunset time for our reservation, and we were greeted with a free lei and a nice card at the table.  The rain and wind poured down that night, so the sunset was out. Luckily, there were no other disappointments that night.


When in Hawaii, it seems like you should have a Mai Tai! 
Or two...
I happen to love Mai Tai's.  If you need some inspiration, there are two recipes on my blog.
Mai Tai's for a Crowd, and Best Mai Tai on Kauai.

We wanted to pace ourselves with the food, so we only ordered one appetizer to share. 
Macadamia Crusted Wasabi Calamari appetizer.  Tender and delicious with a nice bit from the wasabi.  Edamame coleslaw underneath it.



Mama's signature Tomato Ginger Bisque, which is "complimentary" and served in cute little cups between your appetizer and your next course. 

Last year, after visiting Mama's I came up with a copy cat version.  It's taken from the recipe on their website which makes gallons, I made a nice "home size" batch for you in this post.
 
We had more soup for our next course, instead of a salad, as it was the rainiest stormiest day on Maui on our anniversary, which is SO fitting as we had the same weather on our wedding day. We didn't take any pictures of our soups, but I chose the Mahi Mahi Cous Cous soup, and my hubby had the Lobster bisque. Both delicious... I plan on making my rendition of the Mahi mahi soup soon and blog about it.

For our entrees, my hubby had the macadamia crusted mahi mahi topped with a local lobster tail and some asparagus $54).  Amazing. Every night, the menu gets updated with the fresh local fish, and the local fisherman who caught it.  For reals!  Isn't that cool?


I had the Hawaiian sampler plate ($50) but lots of great variety and treats.  It included Taro Kahlua Pork (the dark thing on the right), grilled Mahi Mahi, Molokini Sweet potato, grilled apple banana, lomi lomi salmon, octopus in a coconut sauce (green one- which was SO good) and ahi poke.... and poi (ick).  Besides not liking poi, I loved everything else on this plate.  So yummy.



Also with the my Hawaiian sampler plate came a bottle of the "chili water" that they bring so you can add to any of the dishes, or to use as a palate cleanser.  Crazy good.   


Hana Banana Macadamia Nut Crisp... 

Such a simple idea!  Why haven't more people thought of a banana crisp?
It was fantastic!  We liked it so much, I made a copy cat recipes, that just might be better than Mama's. Mine has RUM in it.  Maybe I should let Mama know...?  My recipe is here.



My suggestion?
Get to Mama's for a night out and splurge when you are there.  
Expensive? Yes! Go ahead and eat "local" for the other meals with plate lunches and fish tacos.  This is SO worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment