Friday, April 10, 2015

A Very Cherry Manhatten


A Manhattan has many of these same ingredients... except for one.
You know what makes this one different?
Maraschino liqueur, either Cherry Herring or Cristiani.

As I stood in the aisle of the Total Wine or More, I viewed my choices; Peter Herring Cherry (Dutch) or Italian Cristiani.  Same price.  I chose the Italian one, but I struggled.  Later after some research on the internet, I see that Cherry Herring is the iconic best seller.  Next bottle?  Cherry Herring.  I will let you know which one is better. 
We like these so much, I may have to buy another bottle sooner than expected.  Hahaha.

One note,
I expected Maraschino liqueur to be red, but, blissfully, it not dyed a bright ruby color.  No one needs more red dye in their life, save it for the actual maraschino cherry.


(I forgot to photograph the bitters...)

Makes 1 large martini, or two small (...I got an idea!  Make two large & toast with a pal!)
Ingredients

3 oz bourbon
1/2 oz cherry liqueur. Peter Herring or Cristiani Maraschino liqueur
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
A dash of bitters, either Angostura or Peychaud's (I can't decide which I like better...)
Maraschino cherries, for garnish

Mix everything (except the cherry) with ice in a cocktail shaker,  shake, shake, shake.  Strain and pour into a martini glass, garnish with a cherry and serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment