Saturday, March 21, 2015

Sauteed Kale with Garlic & Cherry Tomatoes


I make this one quite a lot.
It's easy, it's tasty, it's satisfying and it's healthy.
A perfect little side dish for a week night dinner, grill up some meat and you are ready to go.

I've left the garlic pretty large in this recipe as I wanted to be able to remove it.  I like garlic, but I don't like to eat too much.  I saute it in the olive oil with the onions to release the flavors. This technique gives you the option of getting the flavor, but not the heartburn later. I leave it in and serve it like that, as some people want to eat it, but others can easily push it to the side.


Makes enough for 2-4
Ingredients

1 bunch of kale, stems removed and rough chopped
12-15 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half, or quarters
1/2 onion, minced
3-4 garlic cloves, sliced in half
1-2 Tbsp Olive oil
1/2 tsp Red Pepper flakes
1/2 Lemon, juiced
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until the onions start to soften.




Add the chopped tomatoes and the red pepper flakes and stir for another 2-3 minutes, until the tomatoes start to soften, release their juices and start to lose their shape.  



 
Here it is when that happens.



Add the chopped kale and the lemon juice.  Stir some more to soften the kale.  I cook it for another 2-3 minutes only as I like my kale on the firmer side.  I also like the kale to keep it's bright green color.

Serve at once!

Here's what I was making on this date on past years...
One year ago Lazy Girl Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore
Two years ago Spicy Mama Summer Salad- Tossed Corn, Tomatoes and Avocados
Three years ago Maui Cookies
Four years ago Reese Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing

No comments:

Post a Comment