Thursday, November 20, 2014

Twice Baked Potatoes - 2 Cheese & Bacon




Twice baked potatoes are such a simple thing, however always eaten them happily, just never made' em.
So I Googled it and checked out a bunch of recipes..
Hmmmm, all the recipes were so much alike!
How could I zip this up a bit?
I had lots of goat cheese, because I buy the twin pack at Costco a lot.  It's such a great price. So my twice baked potatoes have goat cheese as a zippy little addition. I apologize I didn't get a picture of the ingredients for this.
I also have to admit, I didn't take a picture of the finished product either, mainly because they were just cheddar cheese covered ovals and we were already tucking into dinner before I remembered.

Note:  I baked six large russet potatoes ($4.99 for a 20lb bag at Costco about 25 XL potatoes- bargain!), and cut them in half, so this makes 12 halves.  One is probably a side dish serving.... so I wrapped up the ones I didn't "twice" bake and popped them in the freezer.  An easy to have side dish in the freezer, ready to pull out and "bake again".



Serves 6-12
Ingredients

6 large baking potatoes
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup goat cheese, or cream cheese
1/2 cup milk
8-10 slices of cooked bacon, sliced
2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup green onions, minced
Salt and Pepper

Bake the potatoes at 400 degrees for about an hour.  You want them to be a bit soft.  Cut in half and let cool.


Using a big spoon, scoop out most of the white inside, leaving a little bit attached to the skin.  Salt and pepper the empty shell potatoes and let sit while you prepare the filling.

Mash the "insides" with the butter, milk, sour cream and goat cheese (or cream cheese).  Don't worry about it being a bit lumpy... you don't want the filling too soft.  You want it have some structure and hold up.  Really mushy twice baked potatoes aren't too yummy....
Add a bit of salt and pepper.  Let cool completely.

Add chopped bacon, shredded cheese and sliced green onions.  Taste it and make sure it tastes delicious! Scoop into the potato shells (I used an ice cream scoop) and top with more shredded cheddar cheese.  Bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 until they are hot and cheese is melted and starting to bubble.  Serve at once.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment