Sunday, October 12, 2014

Greek Pork Meatballs with Spinach and Feta


Yesterday we spent the day at the St. Demetrios Greek Festival in Seattle.
We hadn't been there in years, but thought it was perfect Fall day thing to do. It was.

For lunch, we stuffed ourselves by sharing a Lamb sandwich, pork souvlaki, Greek french fries sprinkled with oregano and feta, Greek coffee, and then some sweets; Kataifi (looks like shredded wheat log filled with nuts and drenched with syrup) Bogatsu (think thin baklava, topped with egg custard and more flaky filo dough). Maybe a little walk is in order...

So what do I do when I come home?
Start thinking about more Greek food...

I had a bunch of ground pork to use... 4lbs worth.... I'd suggest that you don't leave your hubby unattended at the business Costco.  More recipes to come...

I apologize this isn't the prettiest picture of meatballs, however these were easy and delicious.  I also have to say that ground pork is very under rated!  It's quite lean, and has better flavor than beef or turkey would have in these meatballs.

Made this and served it with Sauteed Spinach with Bacon and Tomatoes (as shown above).

Alas... once again, I did not pre-assemble my ingredients (as is my usual way...) but here they all together, ready to be mixed.


Makes 9-10 large meatballs
Ingredients

2 lbs ground pork
1 egg
1/2 cup minced fresh spinach, packed
1/2 cup (or more) feta, crumbled
1-2 tsp fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
1-2 tsp fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried oregano)
4 garlic cloves, crushed
Salt & Pepper

In a large bowl, add the ground pork, the egg, the spinach, feta, fresh herbs (if using), fresh garlic and salt and pepper.  Mix thoroughly (I used latex gloves and used my hands!).
Form into large meatballs, which is around a handful, and place on a greased baking sheet.

Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, turning over once, if desired. 
 

Here's what they look like when cooked.  The greased pan helped to make clean up a cinch!

No comments:

Post a Comment