Sunday, August 10, 2014

Easy & Delicious Marinara Sauce


I am sure you have tried a simple, sublime tasting red sauce in a restaurant and wondered how to make it so delicious at home.  

Remember the KISS principle?  
....Keep It Simple Stupid.
The funny part for me is that I have always over complicated my sauces by overdoing it.  Too many additions, too many spices, too much other stuff.  
My recommendation?  
Keep it simple.  


This sauce recipes makes quite a bit, but it is nice to have leftover yummy sauce for other things.  I stashed my extra sauce in the freezer for later, but, by all means, feel free to halve the recipe if you don't want extras.  I've even used it as a pizza sauce by cooking a small amount a bit more to reduce the liquid.

Originally posted with Stuffed Baked Shells with Easy Marinara Sauce

Sauce Ingredients

1/2 onion, minced or 2-3 shallots, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp basil, fresh
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cans crushed tomatoes SIZE
Red pepper flakes, optional
Salt and Pepper, to taste


To make the sauce,  mince the onions, garlic and any fresh herbs you are using.  I find that a food processor makes short work of that!


Saute them over medium high heat in a couple tablespoons of olive oil for about 5-7 minutes, until they start to soften and turn translucent.  Add the cans of crushed tomatoes and the red pepper flakes (if using).  Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  You may need to keep a lid on the sauce, and it tends to splatter as it is rather thick.  If wanted, you can add a little water to keep it at the consistency you want. 


Here's what I've been making:
One year ago: One Pan Pasta with Chicken & Hot Links
Two years ago: Singapore Fruits (a sort of travel post)
Three years ago: Pork Adobo

No comments:

Post a Comment