Saturday, June 7, 2014

Pasta with Pepperoni, Pepperoncini, Peppers



This is truly our favorite pasta dish, and I've been making it for over 25 years.  
I pulled the recipe from a magazine a LONG time ago and can't even remember which one.
Well, somewhere along the way, that paper and I parted ways.  
But I never stopped thinking about it.  
We'd even bring it up and talk about it... my hubby saying "remember that yummy pasta with pepperoni and pepperoncini?" and me saying "yeah, and it was really EASY".

I'm glad to say with some searching online, I found the recipe, but tweaked a couple of things to make it like we remembered it. It involves lots of "pantry" items that you might have on hand, and dinner is ready in under 20 minutes. Nice.

In a way, this recipe is very much like my One Pan Pasta with Chicken and Hot Links recipe, but this deserves a posting of its own. SO here it is.

You do have to like tangy, spicy foods to be grooving on this pasta.
Now, it's an old favorite that I will now have forever at my fingertips without having to search for some waylaid recipe ripped from a magazine.  



Serves 8 (easy to halve)
Ingredients

1 lb uncooked pasta, like penne or rigatoni
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
2 packages (3-1/2 ounces each) sliced pepperoni, halved
1/2 cup pepperoncini, sliced, plus 1 Tbsp of the juice
1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained & chopped (retain 1 Tbsp pepper liquid)
3-1/2 cups boiling water, or chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1-2 Tbsp parsley, minced
In a large skillet, layer the pasta, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, pepperoni, pepperoncini, red peppers and the couple tablespoons of reserved liquid.


Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until pasta is tender. Add cream, parsley and Parmesan cheese; reheat, stir and toss to coat.
Sprinkle with parsley and serve. 
Serve with more cheese, and a little bread to sop up the fantastic sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment