Sunday, March 9, 2014

Wasabi Salmon with Orange Glaze


It all started with my posting for Sriracha Salmon, when a old family friend told me about Wasabi Salmon.  
It was like TWO ingredients, I guess three if you add the salmon.
Really?  
How could it be that simple?
I questioned her... shouldn't you add sesame oil, or garlic, or ponzu vinegar?
Nope, she said, just soy sauce and wasabi paste.
She told me to try it the simple way first, and add stuff next time if I wanted to play around with it.
Ok.... So I Googled it, as I am wont to do, to see what else was out there.
And, lo and behold, Emeril (my buddy...) has a recipe that people like, but most complain as the sauce is "too complicated".
Have I mentioned that I hate complicated recipes?
Well, I do.
So here's my take on on simplifying the sauce.
The sauce was very easy and really good on broccoli too. 

As a side note, you do NOT need the sauce on this salmon because it is very yummy without it.  It's up to you.


Serves 2
Ingredients

3 Tbsp soy
2 Tbsp wasabi
2 pieces of salmon

Marinate salmon with the soy sauce and wasabi.  I added it all to a ziploc bag and let it sit about 20-30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400, Bake (or grill) for about 10 minutes until done. 

Sauce (makes about 1/3 cup)
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup white wine
2 Tbsp cold butter, salted

Over medium heat, add orange juice and wine to a saucepan.  Simmer, stirring, until it is reduced by half.  Add the cold butter and stir.  The butter makes the sauce creamy and thickens it slightly.

Here's a couple photos of what I did:


It looks kind of ugly, but it's effective to marinate on all sides without having to turn it over.


Here's the sauce as I added the butter, keep stirring.


Here's the salmon, just out of the oven.  See? It's starting to sweat...


I had some mandarins that tasted good but kind of dry, so I squeezed them for their juice and the sauce.  Any kind of orange juice would work.





No comments:

Post a Comment