Saturday, March 22, 2014

Lazy Girl Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore



I'd never made chicken cacciatore before, but somehow it was just calling to me to try.
I had people coming for dinner, so why not?
I love a good red sauce with veggies and meat, so chicken and mushrooms seemed like the thing to do. I love an easy, hearty dinner that pleases a crowd.  Here's the one.

I used huge sliced portabello mushrooms which were a very meaty choice, and I later considered you could even make a vegetarian cacciatore with more veggies if you used all portabellos instead of chicken.  Just an idea.

My photo isn't too great above, but I had a dining room full of people, and a glass of wine in my hand when I took this.  I think that shadow is my big head. 
Salute!

(I show whole tomatoes and a larger can of tomato sauce, 
but do use crushed tomatoes and a smaller can of sauce or you may have too much sauce.)

Serves 6
Ingredients

12 chicken thighs,bone-in with skin on
16 oz. sliced mushrooms, crimini or button
1 onion, sliced 
1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
2 small carrots, peeled and sliced
5 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
1 cup red or white wine
1 14 oz canned tomato sauce
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 Tbsp pesto, or 1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
Fresh Italian parsley
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Season chicken with salt, pepper and sprinkled oregano. 


Heat a heavy cast iron skillet, drizzled with olive oil.
Place chicken skin side down and do not move it until it reaches a deep golden brown and it's easy to turn, brown other side for a few minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.


Add mushrooms, onions, bell pepper, carrots, garlic, salt and pepper to taste, saute for 5 minutes until they start to soften.  Add to the crockpot.
Add wine and crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce.
Toss in 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper and pesto or dried basil.
Place the chicken on top and add any of the juices.
Cover and cook for 4-5 on High, or 8 hours on low.
Garnish with fresh parsley.
Serve with pasta, polenta or warm crusty bread.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment