Thursday, February 27, 2014

Roasted Pepper Potato Soup


"Incredibly flavorful" was the first thing my hubby said when he tasted this.
Then he made that happy little face people make with their eyes closed.
That's a good feeling when you cooked what they're loving.
I can see where this would be a great family, or crowd pleaser for an easy and inexpensive meal.

This is a bunch of simple ingredients that really do come together with an awesome flavorful.  Not spicy, just flavorful.  I have to admit, when I saw this good recipe online, I really wondered about adding cream cheese to soup.  However, I must say this really made it delicious and creamy.  I only used half a package in the soup, attempting to reduce the fat a bit, but you could easily add the whole package if you desired. I changed up some of the ratios to the original recipe above, mainly because I had larger cans in my pantry and I really didn't want leftovers.  I really am a lazy cook...

This one is a keeper, I will make this one again for sure.



Serves 6
Ingredients

2 medium onions, chopped
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 jar (12 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, undrained and chopped
1 can (7 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
1- 2 tsp ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
4 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken, vegetable or beef broth
2-3 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup (1/2 pkg) cream cheese, cubed
Pepper to taste

In a large saucepan, saute onions in oil until tender. 


Stir in the roasted peppers, chilies, cumin, salt and coriander. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in potatoes and broth; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cream cheese, cilantro and lemon juice. Using a stick blender, blend until about half of the soup is smooth. If needed, add a bit of water or broth to thin the soup if too thick. Return all to pan and heat through.

Below is a picture of the soup before I blended it.  Blending it makes it creamy, but leave some chunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment