Thursday, November 14, 2013

Corn and Chili Souffle




I don't buy too many cook books these days.... but every once in a while, something catches my eye.  What I bought isn't actually a book, but it was $9.99 which almost feels like a book.
It was the Better Home & Gardens Holiday Recipes 2013.  It was filled with enough holiday side dishes and desserts to intrigue me.  Did I mention that I had been sitting on a box of tiles at Home Depot for over 30 minutes while someone satisfied all their tool man urges?
Yep, 30 minutes is enough time to get quite attached to something.

I mainly bought it for this recipe, Chile-Corn Custards.... however, I really thought "custards" might turn some people off, so I renamed it.  Maybe "souffle" isn't technically correct, but it did get your attention so I guess it worked. The recipe wanted you to roast your own chilies and red peppers, which is, of course, quite admirable.  However, who really has TIME for that at this time of the year?  I do not. I took some short cuts and used already peeled and roasted chilies and red peppers.  I also used gluten free bread crumbs so our daughter could eat this, but you can use any bread crumbs you like.  I threw a slice of bread in the food processor and zoomed it up.  Perfecto.

We loved this recipe, and we will make it again and again.  
Thank you to my son, Alex, who actually prepared this one night while I was whomping up Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cranberries and walnuts and also Black Beluga Lentils with yogurt & mint.  That kitchen was humming that night.  Lucky our tool man was outside grilling the entree.

Makes 6-8, depends on the size of your baking cups
Ingredients

1/2 cup canned Ortega green mild chilies, chopped
1/2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
5  eggs, lightly beaten
3/4  cup  whipping cream
1 1/2  cups  frozen whole kernel corn, thawed and well drained
3/4  cup  shredded Pepper Jack cheese (3 ounces)
1/2  cup  fine soft bread crumbs
2  tablespoons  snipped fresh chives
1/2  teaspoon  chili powder
1/2  teaspoon  salt
1/4  teaspoon  ground black pepper
Chili powder (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease well six 6-ounce ramekins or custard cups; place in a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl combine eggs and cream; stir in roasted peppers, corn kernels, cheese, bread crumbs, chives, chili powder, salt, and pepper. 


Stir gently until combined. Pour mixture evenly into the prepared ramekins. Place the baking pan on an oven rack. Pour boiling water into the pan around the ramekins to a depth of 1 inch.Bake for 30 to 35 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the centers comes out clean. 


Remove ramekins from water. If desired, top each custard with additional chili powder. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment