Saturday, November 23, 2013

Apple Berry Baked Oatmeal



I like Whole Foods as much as anyone, however, I think their prices are amazingly ridiculous.  I found this recipe on their website but I changed it up a bit. 
Why?
Well, it called for an organic apple..
Sure... I am 100% for organic apples, but not if I have to pay $3 a lb for it. 
It also sounds pretty pretentious to tell someone to use an organic apple.

Actually the apple I used was looking decidedly worse for the wear.  I think this one was in someone's lunch bag and took a couple of return trips before sitting dejectedly on the counter.  This dish was a perfect was to use up a perfectly good apple that didn't look so good.

A couple other things,
This recipe also called for vanilla yogurt and maple syrup... two things I didn't have in my kitchen that day.  It worked very nicely with plain yogurt and ginger syrup. 
It made me laugh, my ginger syrup was organic. Use maple syrup since I'm pretty darn sure more people don't have ginger syrup hanging around their house.

As this makes enough for 6-8 people and we are only two, we chilled the leftovers, cutting it into wedges to have for breakfast this week.  A perfect way to start a chilly winter morning.

Serves 6-8
Ingredients:

Canola oil cooking spray
2 cups frozen mixed berries
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 apple, peeled, cored and grated (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup yogurt
1/3 cup maple syrup (or ginger syrup)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 375°F. 

Oil a (9-inch) pie pan, or individual dishes, with cooking spray; set aside. 
Grate the apple and add the frozen berries.
 

In a large bowl, stir together berries, oats, pecans, baking powder, salt and apple. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, yogurt, syrup, vanilla, eggs; stir into oat mixture. 


Transfer to prepared pan and bake until firm and golden brown on top, about 50 minutes. Cut into slices and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment