Saturday, August 17, 2013

Guacomole Grilled Cheese Sandwich


I bought a new panini maker.  
Not because I really needed one, but heck, why not? The price was right.
It sounds kind of bad that I bought one to make this sandwich, but really, this is what I had on my mind when I did it. I was making this sandwich within 60 minutes of buying it.  That's how I roll.

I was intrigued to take a traditional grilled cheese sandwich and add the typical ingredients that you add to guacamole. Slices of cheese, avocado, tomatoes, jalapenos, cilantro and some spices.  Yum!  Crisp cooked bacon also makes a nice addition, if you are in to that kind of thing. 

A couple of things made this sandwich work... 1) use cheese on both sides, it helps to "cement" the whole sandwich together, 2) Salt and pepper your sliced tomatoes and avocados, 3) sprinkle with spices.  I didn't use any butter or oil to grill the sandwich, I like it without, but you can do what ever you want*. 

This sandwich works great in a panini maker, or a traditional frying pan.
Use what you got..



Makes 1 sandwich

Ingredients 

2 slices whole wheat bread
4 slices cheddar cheese, or pepper jack, slices
1/2 avocado, sliced
2 big, or 4 small slices of tomato
1 jalapeno, sliced very thin lengthwise
1 bunch of cilantro leaves, torn from their stems
A sprinkle of ground cumin
A sprinkle of granulated garlic
Generous salt and pepper on your tomatoes and avocado slices

Here's some other things you could add... if you wanted:
  • 2 couple thin slices or red onions
  • 2-3 slices of pre-cooked crispy bacon
  • mayo with a little added lime juice and lime zest 


Assemble the sandwich, adding seasoning.  Carefully put the two sides together, and grill over medium low heat for about 2-3 minutes per side.About 5-6 minutes total, until the cheese is all melted. Serve with salsa dipping sauce on the side

*"Do what you want" are my favorite words to hear. 



No comments:

Post a Comment