Thursday, April 4, 2013

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix- Make ahead



I've always liked the Uncle Dan's or Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing, but frankly, was always amazed that the mixes cost so much!  
So let's see.... you want me to pay that for something I have to add my own ingredients to AND make at home.  I'm thinking that's not such a great value...

So this recipe is for a Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix...no need to pay $1.70 a packet anymore! It was really good, and I loved having it in there ready to go. Once you've combined the dry mix,  I would suggest making your liquid dressing and letting it sit for 15-20 minutes.  If you eat it too quick after combining you will totally have crunchy dehydrated onions.

One thing about the dried buttermilk mix.  It's in the grocery store with the baking supplies and/or with the rest of the dried/canned milk.  Usually they are together. It's been fun to have buttermilk (instant) on hand to make biscuits or pancakes.  I think it was about $5.

Something funny about the big containers of spices, I asked someone, who shall remain nameless, to buy them at Costco for me.  I said "Granulated Garlic" and "Chopped Onion".  I got two versions of each, four total for just garlic and onions.... that's a whole lot of spices.  Prepare yourself to see more dried stuff in my recipes... hey, if you got it, cook it!


(forgot to show the black pepper!)

Makes about 1/2 cup, enough for 2-3 batches
Ingredients

1/3 cup dry buttermilk
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper


To make dressing, add 2 heaping Tbsp  of the Ranch mixture into the following:
1/3 cup sour cream, or yogurt
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup milk 
OR whatever mixture you like, I also did nonfat Greek yogurt and milk for a 'diet' version. 
Let sit for 15-20 minutes, then serve with veggies, salad or anything else you like to dip in Ranch dressing.


Here's what it looked the like the next time I made it.  My written "post it" says 2 Tbsp with 1 cup yoghurt/mayo.... NOT two cups.  Didn't want any confusion.



No comments:

Post a Comment