Saturday, February 9, 2013

Drunken Fig Jam with Grand Marnier & Brandy


I'm sure you've seen it.

That really yummy, and expensive fig jam.
Well, this one is better and if you already have Grand Mariner and brandy, it's cheaper too.
Plus, if you wanted, you could use this jam as gifts; for the hostess, for the holidays, whatever.
I was a little sad that I gave so much of my first batch away, I wish I had kept more for myself.This stuff is so good with goat cheese, or Brie, or whatever salty rich cheese you like and crackers.
I look every time  we go to Costco.... looking, looking, searching for more of the fresh figs so I can make some more of this jam. I know the season is passed, but I keep looking.

I'm sure there are many other uses for drunken jam like this, but I can't get past it with goat cheese on a cracker.  Best stuff on earth.




Makes about 6-7 1 cup jars
Ingredients
4 cups figs, cut into 1/8's
4 cups sugar
2 lemons, zested and juiced (you could sub Orange's here- use 1/3 cup juice and 2 tsp zest)
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup brandy, or Courvoisier
1/3 cup of Grand Marnier
1 3 oz. packet of liquid pectin

Chop up the figs and throw in a large stock pot over medium high heat with the lemon juice, zest and the sugar over medium high heat.


Simmer with a rolling boil for about 10-15 minutes.  Stir and watch it, don't leave it unattended.  If it starts to look too thick, add the water and cook until the figs have started to break down.  Add the brandy and Grand Marnier.  When you add the booze, be careful, it does splatter around.  Best to turn off the heat and slowly add while stirring.  Bring back to a boil and add the liquid pectin and boil for ONE minute.



No comments:

Post a Comment