Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Masa Chocolate Chip Cookies


Someone is sick at my house
- and it's her 22nd birthday
- and she has chicken pox
- and she is gluten free 
Oh geez...
besides making her favorite chicken soup, what do you make to make that girl feel better?

Lots of people are going gluten free these days, because they need to, or they just feel better without eating gluten. I'm not sure I'm going there... yet, but I'm always on the look out for some new way to make things, and this recipe just appealed to me.

The cookies came out picture perfect with a nice crunch and some interesting flavor from the Masa flour.  My hubby didn't love these, but he did manage to tuck into quite a few all the while mentioning they weren't his favorite.  My daughter, and her boyfriend, liked them a whole bunch.
I stashed a half dozen in the freezer, before they disappeared, for my BFF, who is also gluten free.

In no way do I want you to think I made spotty cookies for my spotty chicken pox'd daughter.... that would just not be nice.  Paige-y, I hope you are feeling better and delightfully spot free soon.  I'm really, really sorry that all the exposing you to chicken pox as a kid didn't work out.

Folks, if you're an adult that has never had chicken pox, get the vaccine NOW. I didn't know it was available, but boy, this would have reduced a bunch of heartache at our house if we had done this. 

 

Makes about 36 2" cookies
Ingredients

1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup instant masa de maiz flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional- I skipped these)
1 cup chocolate chips (I used mini!)

Beat butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla until fluffy. Add masa, soda, and salt; mix well. Stir in the nuts and chips. Use a cookie scoop, or roll the batter into balls about one inch in diameter or slightly larger. Bake on parchment or silicone mats at 375 degree for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool on cookie sheet for several minutes before you transfer them to a rack to finish cooling.

8 comments:

  1. These were incredible!
    I only put in 1/2 cut sugar total - and they were still so, so good! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's been years since you posted this recipe, but these cookies were life changing-ly good!!! This was the first gluten free cookie recipe that tasted like it's gluten counterpart. I added double the vanilla and a tablespoon of cocoa powder to hide the corn taste. Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily, I love, love hearing that you liked these.

      Delete
  3. LIFE CHANGER! Thank you for posting!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so good!! They're super easy and delicious. I love the subtle corn flavor from the Masa Harina. Five stars!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were so good. Different with the wonderful corn flavor - winner!

    ReplyDelete