Thursday, August 2, 2012

Greek Fish baked in Parchment- Simple, Fast, Healthy


This is less of a recipe, and more of a technique.  
A guideline, an idea, a mere suggestion.
Make it your own.
 
We've trying to eat very healthily for a multitude of reasons, but mainly because we could both stand to loose a few pounds and we eat like crazy on the weekends.  It's all about balance, you know?

I use tilapia for this dish, because I always have it on hand, in the freezer.  I like it because it's mild, easy to cook frozen and frankly,  I like it.  You could make this dish with any fish that you had on hand.  I am posting this for a wonderful co-worker who has lots of snapper and halibut in her freezer from her own personal fisherman.  This would be great with any white fish, but heck, I think that salmon would work too.

I'm including the original recipe, but I think you need to keep your options open, and add things that you have on hand that you like.  
I mean, if you Got It, Cook It.
Some suggestions that would go with this, you say? 
Okay, here you go: olives, feta, basil, goat cheese, asparagus, zucchini. 


I used parchment paper, but foil would also work for this.  I used a low bowl to prep this in, adding the parchment, the fish, the liquids and the veggies before crimping it closed.  The bowl helps keep the oil and lemon juice in the packet, and not running all over your counter, but you can do it any way you want.


This would be a great do ahead dinner party;  get it ready in the morning, store in the fridge, and throw into a hot oven about 15-20 minut3es before you want to serve it as a main course

 
Serves one (double or triple, or whatever needed)
Ingredients

1 fish fillet, I used one about 1/2 inch thick, about 7 oz.
1-2 Tbsp onion, minced small
1-2 Tbsp tomato, minced (I used a Roma)
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped (or basil)
1/2 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
Lots of fresh pepper, and sea salt. (use more than you think, this is pretty mild flavors soaking up the seasoning more than you think)

Lay down a large piece of foil, or parchment, lay down the fish, top with the onions, tomato, fresh herbs, olive oil and lemon, finishing with the salt and pepper.  Crimp the edges securely, I twisted the parchment, ending with a fold over to keep it closed

Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes.  Serve at once, opening the packets at the table, if desired. 


2 comments:

  1. Love it. The best thing? You get to throw away the baking dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree, this was so easy and the amount of dishes was almost zilch!

    ReplyDelete