Saturday, August 25, 2012

BLT Salad Sliders


An easy variation of a wedge salad, but easier to eat.
We've had these lots of times at Morton's Steak House from their Happy Hour menu.  
I just love these, what an incredible idea... a salad slider!  

You really can't beat the "fun factor" with a salad slider as an appetizer or a side salad.  I love the intense flavors and the casual ease of eating salad with your fingers.  I have always thought that salad eaten with your fingers tasted best for sure.

Now, one thing needed for this is a large round cookie cutter, or a biscuit cutter.  I have a cute set of 4 sizes for cutting biscuits. I've had it since I was about 18... kinda crazy thing for an 18 year to buy herself.  Anyways, having a 3" round cutter makes this work. Without one?  Well, it might be tough, but you could cut it into squares!  Why not, huh?



Serves 2-6 people
Ingredients

1 head of iceberg lettuce
4-5 small tomatoes, or one medium, diced
4-5 slices of crisp cooked bacon, chopped
1/4-1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/4 cup blue cheese dressing

I'm not going to get to fancy on the instructions here, okay?
Peel off about 7 layers of lettuce, do it all at once, keeping them as connected as possible.

Cut into rounds; add diced tomatoes, chopped bacon, blue cheese crumbles, ending with a drizzle of blue cheese dressing.  I like to end with a grinding of fresh black pepper too. 


 This is about how thick they are.  As strange as it may be, my husband and I discussed the merits of a thick lettuce disk versus a thinner one....  somewhere between 4-7 layers of lettuce is probably perfect. My husband immediately took half from the bottom of his salad slider and used it to top the slider sandwich.  Gotta admit, it was fun to eat like that too.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment