Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Muffins


I was thinking of making muffins the other day, but really, when do 2 people need 18 muffins?  Yeah, pretty much never.

I woke up on Monday  and it was cold and rainy... again.
Have I mentioned that it's pretty much the worst June ever in Seattle?
I am sure I have...
I laid in bed and contemplated staying there, head under the covers.
Then I remembered those muffins...
Hey, wouldn't people at work be happy if I brought in muffins still warm from the oven?
Heck yes they would...
I whomped this batch together in my standmixer, just dumping it altogether not following the elaborate "first mix this together, then mix that together, then finally combine".  I didn't have time for that... it was 5am and I need to get moving. I had these in the oven in under 10 minutes.  I love a recipe like that.

I found this original recipe online and knew it was a keeper.Of course, I made some tweaks... mostly reducing the amount of the mini chocolate chips... the original called for 2 cups. In 18 muffins that's a lot of chips. But do what you like, that's what cooking is all about.  It gives the illusion of 'healthy' by using half whole wheat flour, but it would be equally delicious with all white flour I am sure.

(I forgot to show the butter, the milk and the yoghurt... did I mention it was 5am?)
Makes 18 muffins
Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup yoghurt, or sour cream
1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Mini Morsels

Preheat oven to 375º F. Paper-line or grease 18, 2 1/2 –inch muffin cups.

Combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, peanut butter and brown sugar in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, milk and yoghurt (or sour cream); beat until smooth. Add flour mixture to peanut butter mixture; beat until just blended. Stir in morsels.


Spoon batter into prepared cups, or better yet, use an ice cream scoop, filling 3/4 full.

Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out slightly sticky. Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.

Need some more muffin ideas?  Here's some others:
Apricot, Cherry, Almond Muffins
Banana Raspberry Bran Muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment