Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Butternut Squash Waldorf Salad


Sweet, crunchy, savory, tangy and super duper good for you.
I made this last night after dinner... why? 
Well, I had this butternut squash that I've been meaning to use. 
Somehow, butternut squash just says Fall or Winter to me... so I've been looking at this squash trying to get inspired for something more appropriate to this season.

What about Waldorf Salad?
While this salad certainly has elements of a real Waldorf salad, it certainly is missing a key one; the mayonnaise. I was going to add it, but then reconsidered because I wanted this to be very healthy and simple, without a load of extra fat.  This has all the yummy, satisfying elements, and you really don't need the mayo. 
But, hey... it is your salad, I think that it was be a nice addition if you want to go for it!

I took this for lunch today and was very satisfied and happy with my lunch.  This would be a great buffet dish for a BBQ, a nice Vegan entree, or a side salad for any lunch or dinner.



Serves 4- 6
Ingredients
4 cups Butternut squash, cubed and cooked
1 large apple, cored and diced
1 cup red seedless grapes
1 cup celery, chopped or sliced
1/2 cup green onions
1/2 cup italian parsley, chopped (optional)
1/2 cup spiced, or candied nuts (sweet or savory), chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries, or cherries, optional
3 Tbsp fruit flavored vinegar, raspberry or red wine vinegar
1-3 Tbsp olive oil
Salt
Pepper

Peel and cube the butternut squash.  Microwave on a plate wrapped with plastic wrap for about 6 minutes.  Let sit for 10-15 minutes, then unwrap and let cool. Here's my before and after photos.  DO NOT unwrap right after taking from the microwave, can you say "steam burn"?


Here it is all cooked and cooling.  I must admit I love to see the plastic all stuck to the veggies!


While the squash is cooking, chop all the other fresh veggies and set aside in a bowl.  Add the cooled butternut squash.  Toss with the vinegar and oil (if using) and season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment