Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Baked Greek Chicken, Tomatoes and Feta


You know I was ready for grilling on the deck and a little Greek salad on the side, making my favorite Greek Chicken Souvlaki and Tzatziki Sauce
But dang... it is cold today. 
Cold, with rain... the classic Seattle combo.
June in the Pacific Northwest is almost never nice.
Rainy and 55 degrees sums it up pretty well. 
Yuck.
I am so ready for Summer, or heck... how about a nice hot Spring?
I guess if I want a hot Spring then I'd better move to Arizona, huh?

So back to the food...
I'm looking at what I intended to make for dinner and just 'not feeling it'. I'm freezing cold, I want something hot and comforting.
So why not chicken cooked with the 'Greek Salad"?  
Yeah.... leave out those cucumbers and it's going to taste pretty good

We gave this two thumbs up... sunny bright flavors that were also comforting, easy to prepare, delicious and healthy too. A squeeze of lemon, and you are almost there.



Serves 4-6
Ingredients

4 large chicken breasts
4-6 oz feta cheese, cut into cubes, or crumbled
4 medium tomatoes
1/2 large onion, diced
1 bell pepper, cut into chunks
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
Seasoning salt, I like Cavender's Greek Seasoning.
3-4 large Fresh thyme sprigs

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Brown the chicken over medium hot heat in an oven safe pan, use a tablespoon of olive oil and ample seasoning on the chicken breast.  Make sure each side has a nice brown sear, which usually takes about 4-5 minutes. 


While the pan is still hot, add the onions, bell pepper, chopped garlic, fresh thyme and diced tomatoes. Give a stir or two to mix around the chicken, keeping each chicken breast exposed but surrounded with the veggie mixture. 

Back in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  The chicken should feel firm when you poke it with your finger (be careful!) and the sauce should seem like it is starting to thicken. 


Add the feta and put back into the hot oven to heat up and soften the cheese.  You could even broil the top for 1-2 minutes (but watch it the whole time) to get a little char on the veggies and cheese.  

Serve at once with a little lemon on the side and a couple of minced green onions on top.  It would be nice with pasta, like Greek Orzo, or even rice.

Enjoy... relax... Summer is here anytime you eat like you are in Greece.
Love that place.

Greek food is one of my all time favorites, here are some of my favorites:

No comments:

Post a Comment