Sunday, March 11, 2012

Salted Cashew & Toffee Cookies



Salty cashews and toffee?  Oh yes please!

Saw this recipe on Pinterest and thought it looked great. It's from a cute little site called "Bake Up Little Suzy".  I really wanted to make another recipe with chocolate and peanut butter, but was sadly lacking in peanut butter at my house.  I am not even sure how that happened, I don't think I've ever been without peanut butter before.

When I saw this recipe I knew I had a little leftover bag of salted cashews in there and also a half bag of toffee pieces.  Bingo!  I made these.  My only change to this recipe was to add more cashews, the original one cup just didn't do it for me.  Also, I made very flat cookies, mine didn't look anything like the beautifully fat cookies in the other blog. 

I really wish I knew why my cookies are so flat. 
Don't say it's the butter/margarine/Crisco, the pans, the eggs and temperature of the butter etc.  I have heard all these pointers and tried them all too.  Not matter what, I always make flat cookies.  My hubby and son say flat cookies are their favorite, and that's enough reason for me to keep making cookies.

 
Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Ingredients

    1 cup butter, softened
    1 cup white sugar
    1 cup packed brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 teaspoons hot water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/3 cups toffee pieces
    1 1/2 cups cashew halves and pieces

Preheat oven to 350.
Cream together the butter and sugars until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Dissolve the baking soda in hot water and add to batter along with salt. Stir in the flour, toffee pieces, and nuts. Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased pans.
Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are nicely browned.

Here's some other good cookie recipes:
Butterscotch, Almond, Oatmeal Cookies
Lemon-Lime Basil Shortbread Cookies
Molasses Cookies, Mom's
Salted Caramel Chocolate Shortbread- Millionaire's Shortbread


2 comments:

  1. Hi Piper, These cookies look and sound delicious. Have you tried freezing the dough first, pre-portioned? Just an idea that works for me sometimes. But wait, then your husband and son wouldn't like them. Forget it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love flat cookies...they are chewy and delicious. Leave that cake texture for cakes! Just when I was about to give up on tollhouse cookies, my niece said, "Aunt Kris, you have chocolate chips. Can we make cookies"? She is 6 so we did the whole measuring thing, then I let her cream the butter and sugar. She wimped out long before they were creamed, and I was tired so just tossed the rest of the stuff in and, Voila! The best dang (flat) chocolate chip cookies ever! Flat cookies RULE!

    ReplyDelete