Monday, March 5, 2012

Marinated Tofu and Edamame Salad


I know its kind of weird to be inspired by the salad bar at work...
But, it's true, it happened. It was just .... so ... dull; I needed to fix it.

But I always get the marinated tofu at the work salad bar, because I like the idea.
The firmness, the flavor (almost there...) and the pure protein. 
I haven't always been a tofu fan, but I have decided that I like the firm texture and find it's a very versatile way to make an easy meal.

First, you need to marinate the tofu. It takes a while to penetrate the tofu, so I'd plan ahead and do it the day before you want it.  You could use the marinated tofu for many things, like adding to the top of a green salad, a nibbley appetizer, on top of steamed rice or mixed into the salad below.

I used frozen, shelled edamame beans from the frozen food section, it's so easy to add protein to salads that way, and I love the taste too!

I'm not sure I can call this "vegan friendly" because I am questioning whether or not soy sauce is vegan.  If you are vegan, you probably know...




Serves 4-6
Ingredients:
16 oz. firm or extra firm tofu, cubed
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 Tbsp garlic hot pepper paste
salt and pepper

1 cup edamame beans, shelled and thawed
1 cup English cucumber, cubed
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
1 bell pepper, diced
5-6 green onions, minced
Salt and Pepper


Drain and cube the tofu.  Mix the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic pepper sauce and sesame oil.  Gently mix and refrigerate over night.

 
When your tofu is marinated, combine the chopped veggies listed above with the tofu and any of the leftover marinade/dressing.  Add salt and pepper to taste, adding more sesame oil or garlic hot sauce as needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment