Friday, February 3, 2012

Polenta with Truffle Oil & Arugula


Hungry, tired and wanted something comforting... quickly. 

I flew home this morning from Japan.... it's kind of like time travel.  You leave at 3pm in the afternoon and arrive back in Seattle at 7am on the same day.  Exhausting, but fun. I got my day back, the one that disappeared on my way there!  I need to stay up today in order to get back on the Pacific coast time zone.  I am SOooooo tired. This was just what I wanted.  I've had some fantastic food this last week, but I wanted something that wasn't Japanese.



Just a little note about truffle oil. 
I love it so much...
It's a bit spendy for a small bottle, but there are so many great things you can do with it.  Add a drop or two to your favorite vinaigrette dressing, or drizzled on french fries... pure heaven.

I think I paid about $12 for this about 6 months ago at a larger grocery store. 



Ingredients
Serves 4-6, as a main dish, or side dish
2 Tbsp olive oil, or butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups fresh arugula or spinach
1 cup cornmeal
3 1/2 cups water or stock
1 tsp truffle oil
1 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
Salt & Pepper to taste

Over medium heat, Saute the onions in the olive oil, or butter until they soften and become somewhat translucent. Add the arugula, or spinach, and saute briefly until it wilts, about 2 minutes more.  

Remove the onions and arugula to a plate.

In the same pan (no need to wash it out) add the water, or broth.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Sprinkle in the cornmeal, while whisking the mixture continuously.  Lower heat to medium and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring the whole time. 


Add the grated cheese, stir until well mixed.  Add the cooked onions and arugula and stir to combine.  Serve at once as a side dish, or main dish.  Any leftovers can be refrigerated to use later.  It firms up, so you can slice off a piece and fry it, or add a bit more cheese and bake in a 350 degree oven until warmed throughout.

Here's some other ideas with cornmeal or polenta:

Pork Tenderloin with Cheese Polenta & Sauteed Kale
Sweet & Spicy Moist Mexican Cornbread
Tuscan Pot Roast
Cheddar Cornmeal Waffles with Cheese Gravy 

No comments:

Post a Comment