Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lazy Girl Crock Pot All Veggie Chili (Vegan)



All veggies, all goodness and a very satisfying meal.

I had all these veggies, and a promise, a New Year's promise to make more Vegan entrees and, oh yeah, it was snowing. In Seattle... it almost never snows like this here.  

What should I get in the crockpot to start cooking?  

I've got lots of veggies on hand, dried beans and some spices.   I was gonna make a run for it with what I had. I would recommend that you mix and match veggies that you have on hand, and things you like, just omit anything that you don't like!  I probably will use a red bell pepper, not a green, next time. It might sound a bit strange to put broccoli stems in, but the firm veggies hold up great while getting tender too.  It's a perfect meaty consistency that has a nice body for a bowl of chili.


I had some extra firm tofu, but it had been in there a while, so I pitched it in the compost, but if you have tofu, I think you could add it in too.



 (I showed Olive oil and used about 2 Tbsp, but it's not necessary)

Serves about 8
Ingredients

1 lb dried red beans (or pinto, kidney)
1 large onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 large bunch broccoli, including stems, chopped
5-6 cloves garlic
1-2 cups zucchini, chopped
2 cups tomatoes, chopped, or 1 14oz can tomatoes
1/2 can chipotle chilies, minced
3-4 Tbsp chili powder
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1-2 Tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp pepper
1 6oz can tomato paste
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
6-8 cups water, or vegetable stock 
6-8 corn tortillas, chopped 

Chop all the veggies


Add the spices, tomato paste and water.  Mix.  Cook for 6-8 hours on high setting. About 30 minutes before serving, add the chopped tortillas and cook until they dissolve.


No comments:

Post a Comment