Saturday, October 29, 2011

Spinach Quiche Toast Cups


I love quiche, but rarely make a whole one. Somehow it just seems too large for the two of us.  But I DO love quiche, so I started thinking on how else I could make this.

My Mom has been doing these little toast cups for her Eggs Goldenrod
for years, and I think they are so darn cute.  So, why not make them into little quiches?  It's no different than having some toast with your eggs, right?


This would be a very versatile thing for you to make, I used spinach and feta, but you could do it with what you like.  Lots of other ideas come to mind; sausage, mushrooms, bacon, cheddar. Your only constraint is how much room is in your toast cup, which isn't that big.  If you had a BIG muffin tin, that would be ideal for making a bigger toast cups, but alas, I don't!!! 



Makes 8 individual cups
Serves 4
Ingredients
Cooking spray, or butter
8 slices bread, crusts cut off 
4 eggs
2 Tbsp cream or milk
2 cups spinach
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
8 Tbsp feta, crumbled

Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. 

Butter pan, or It might even be easiest to lightly butter one side of the bread, and then put that butter side down when making your toast cups.

Make the toast cups. Cut the bread into 4-5" squares. 



Carefully push the pieces of bread into the buttered muffin tins, like this. Bake for 5 minutes to give them a little crispness, but I think you could skip this step if you wanted a softer toast cup at the bottom.



Saute the veggies over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until the onions are soft.


Then add the spinach, cook until wilted 1-2 minutes.



Add to the toast cups, then the beaten egg mixture. Don't overfill them, add about 1 Tbsp of cheese to each one. Bake for 18-20 minutes.



I recommend that you DO butter your muffin tins... I did NOT, and it was tricky getting these out of the pan. That's the last thing you need is aggravation first thing in the morning, right?

 


Also, I put half this batch in the fridge to grab for quick easy breakfasts during the work week.  It took about 30 seconds to rewarm in the microwave, and I bet they would freeze and reheat just great too!


I love breakfast, here's some other ideas for some quick and delicious things to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment