Monday, September 12, 2011

Maple Yogurt Pound Cake

(Photo credit to www.NotDerbyPie.com- Thanks Rivka!)


It was quite a party, a huge celebration for a friend's 40th birthday bash. I volunteered to do the cake for about 60 people. This friend happens to be the best neighbor ever, and also happens to be Canadian. So we settled on a Maple Cake. I've been trying so many recipes trying to find the perfect cake, first I tried Brown Sugar, Maple & Pecan Pound Cake, but we thought maybe 'no nuts' for a party, and besides, the cake wasn't moist enough to be a birthday cake.  So I found this recipe on a great website called Not Derby Pie. I loved it, sweet, but not overly sweet, dense enough for the fondant frosting and nice and moist!

I quadrupled the recipe and then made two layers... so yeah, I made this eight times. And... I will make it again... yep, that good!

I didn't take pictures of the ingredients like I usually do... I was too busy.
Yes... I could stage one right now, but I am just too tired. 

Here's a photo of the cake.  I was super annoyed when my red fondant stretched as I tried to put the leaf on the cake... I do know it's a bit out of whack. 
Did you know that each of the maple leaf points symbolizes the provinces of Canada, eh? 
Well, I didn't.
Canucks are clever, we just did those stars.


Here's a slice at the party...


Makes one 8 1/2×4 1/2×2 1/2-inch loaf.

1/2 cup real maple syrup
3/4 cup yogurt
1/3 cup sugar
3 eggs

1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt


Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F.
Generously butter 8 1/2×4 1/2×2 1/2-inch metal loaf pan.

Combine syrup, yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and oil. Stir or whisk to combine. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet ingredients and stir to incorporate.

Place cake on baking sheet in oven and bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 5 minutes. Cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Turn cake out onto rack. Turn cake upright on rack and cool completely. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap and store at room temperature.)

1 comment:

  1. I haven't made a poundcake in ages. I adore the addition of maple syrup and yogurt to this - come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I have all the ingredients in my pantry right now. Love that!

    ReplyDelete