Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chipotle Nectarine Jam


I know, I know, I really should just leave some things alone. 
But after making about 5 batches of nectarine jam and a Nectarine Crostada -Lazy Girl Pie out of the 'case of nectarines that never ended', I wanted to shake things up a bit. 
Spicy jam? 
Why not?
You know how much I like chipotles!
I've had this in my greek yogurt about 5 days in a row now for breakfast.
I really, really like it like that.
Also, this jam would be great on homemade artisan bread, cornbread, or with grilled pork tenderloin or with cheese and crackers.
Heck, just eat it, it's super good!

If you don't like chipotles... well, leave them out and make some incredible regular ole' nectarine jam.  I also made a batch with 1 tsp of almond extract (and no chipotles, silly!) which is also super yummy!

Leave the skins on the nectarines... it's way easier, plus they give the jam a great color and then add pectin so that your jam will be thicker.  You can't taste the peels, I promise.
Now stop being so picky, okay?

Makes about 5 cups of jam


6 cups nectarines, chopped- leave skins ON
3 cups sugar
4 Tbsp lemon juice
2-3 chipotle chilies, canned in adobo sauce, minced


Bring the nectarines, sugar and lemon juice to a boil over medium high heat. 


Reduce to medium and simmer at a gentle rolling boil for 30 minutes, stirring often. Add the minced chipotle chili and cook another 1-2 minutes.



Ladle jam into hot sterile jars.  Leave a 1/2 inch head-space. Top with a new lid and band. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes for half-pint jars.  "Google" Home Canning Basics for more information about the canning process if you've never done it.

Here's some pictures of my canning equipment.  The blue ladel thingy comes in super handy when filling hot jars with hat jam... Also, you really do need the jar lifter, it grips onto your jars in the hot water and makes it easy and safe to pull out.


Here I am ready to fill them up.  I only got 2 pint jars and some extra for a jar for the fridge. It's probably best to use one cup jars, but I was out of them because I have been making some much jam. I wish some of the people I gave jam to would give the jars back....


Ready to got into the canning kettle, which is really just a deep stock pot.  You need enough water to cover the jars by about 1" when they are processing.


Here they are simmering in their bath.  I keep it on medium and let it simmer away for about 10-15 minutes. I don't have a rack for the jars... I have never had one break in the water (which would be a super big mess...), but keep the water at SIMMER, not at boil!



Here's some other jams I've done this summer!
Pepper, Peach & Rosemary Jam
Strawberry Jam- No Pectin

No comments:

Post a Comment