Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas


Okay, this isn't for the faint of heart, ya know?
I figure if you clicked on this link, then you actually already like Buffalo Wings.
I do too.
Which is why when I saw another food blogger, How Sweet Eats, do this recently, I wanted to give it a try. I made some changes to her recipe, because I felt it needed more crunch from some veggies like celery, onions & peppers, which would also make it better for you.  The funny thing is, Buffalo Wings are notoriously high in fat, and this dish isn't. I didn't run the nutritional stats, but there is very little added fat or high fat ingredients... except maybe the blue cheese, and I have a solution for that!

My photo shows the dish sprinkled with crumbled blue cheese, some green onions and a drizzle of light sour cream.  In fact, I think the blue cheese is just too rich.  I would suggest you do a drizzle of sour cream with some blue cheese smashed into it, or just plain ole' bottled blue cheese, or even just light ranch dressing to cut the heat.

All in all, I liked this dish, it had all of the spice, tang and crunch that I like. It was totally simple to make.  I might also suggest that if you don't have 8 people to feed, which we don't, it would be very easy to halve this recipe.  We now have decidedly too many leftovers.... oh well, it's easy to freze for lunches.




Serves 8, about 2 small enchiladas each
Ingredients:

16 corn tortillas
3-44 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (I used a Costco rotisserie chicken)
3/4 cup celery, sliced or chopped
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
5 green onions, chopped

4 ounces blue cheese, or gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
OR
Sour Cream, Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing to drizzle on top

20 ounce can red enchilada sauce
1/3- 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce, depending on how hot you like it.


Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour enchilada sauce in a bowl and add 1/2 cup red hot sauce.... you can do less, if you want to. Set aside.

Add shredded chicken to a bowl with half of your chopped green onions, celery and onions. Add 1 cup pepper jack cheese. Pour in about a 1/2 cup of enchilada/hot sauce mixture and mix thoroughly. Stir until mixture comes together.



Pour a drizzle of enchilada sauce mixture in the bottom of the baking dish. Microwave the corn tortillas for 30 seconds to soften. Cold corn tortillas break into bits, so heat them up first!


Take each tortilla and fill it with a few heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture.



Roll each up and set it in the baking dish, seam side down. Pour another 1/2 cup or more of enchilada/buffalo sauce on top of tortillas and add remaining monterey jack cheese.


I must have used too much chicken... I was able to make two small individual baking dishes in addition to the 9x13.  Great to have for lunches, or in the freezer for last minute dinners.


Bake for 20-25 minutes. Immediately after taking enchiladas out of the oven, add crumbled gorgonzola on top. Garnish with the remaining onions and cilantro and serve.

You know what salad would be great with this?  This one... maybe reduce the number of jalapenos in it to make it cooling accompaniment to those spicy enchiladas!
Spicy Coleslaw

Here's some other Mexican dishes that I love:

No comments:

Post a Comment