Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pork Adobo


Okay... I know it... that picture might be my worst ever. 
I could have at least garnished it... yikes!
This dish looks boring...
But it is awesome.
Part of the reason that this shot is so dull is that I was being rushed by a family of enthusiastic eaters to hurry it up.  I took ONE shot of this dish... I never, ever, do that.  I'm glad they like this dish so much, I remember I used to be the same way when my Mom made it.

My Mom makes a mean pork adobo, and I have always loved the vinegary taste with the garlic and black pepper in this dish. The pork is tender and moist and falls apart when you eat it.  It can be made with chicken, but we all prefer the pork here.  Serve it over white rice, nice with Jasmine or Basmati rice and dinner is ready.

I made this on the stove top, but I hear it's very easy to do in a crockpot.  I would it do exactly the same way, brown the pork and then add everything to the crockpot and cook for 6-8 hours. 




Serves 6
Ingredients:
2-3 lbs pork (cut in 2-inch cubes)
1/2 cup vinegar, any kind works, but cider or white vinegar 
1/2 cup low-salt soy sauce, or 1/3 cup regular salt soy sauce
1-2 Tbsp worchestershire sauce (optional)
1 cup water, or chicken broth
2 -3 bay leaves
2 teaspoons peppercorns (whole)
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 medium onion, chopped
3/4 teaspoon ground pepper
Salt to taste after it's done

Cut up the pork into 2" chunks. 


Brown over medium high heat in 1 tsp sesame oil and 1 Tbsp olive oil.  Don't overcrowd your pan, it just won't brown if you do that.  Work in batches, removing each batch of browned pork to a plate and continuing . 


When you are finished, saute the onions and garlic in the same pan to help release any browned bits of meat.  Add the meat back to the pot, adding the water, vinegar and soy sauce.  Add bay leaves and cracked black pepper corns. 


Return to boiling, and then immediately reduce heat to low to simmer the meat for 2-3 hours. I have also done this in the crock pot, but first browning the meat on the store, then letting it simmer in the crockpot for 6-8 hours.


In the last half hour of simmering, remove the lid and let the sauce reduce a bit.  You can adjust the salt right before you serve it, but you probably will not need any additional salt due to the soy sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment