Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich


It's no secret that I like jalapenos... so when I heard about a Jalapeno Popper sandwich while watching Diners', Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network I was IN!  I didn't see the whole episode but kept thinking of how I would go about making one of these are my house.

It's rich, but so yummy.  

I made one for my teenage son the other day, and he loved it.  He loved it so much that when I got home one day, I came back to the remnants of his own foray into sandwich making all over the kitchen. 
What a mess...
But, later on, he told me his version of the sandwhich included dipping it in beaten egg, and then in panko breadcrumbs and then fried.  Fantastic sounding, but it does explain the big, fat mess he left... for... me.  Oh well, raising good cooks takes some effort, just like everything else worthwhile in life.



Makes about 4 sandwiches
4 oz cream cheese, softened
2-3 jalapenos, seeds removed, minced
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Sprinkle of chili powder
8 slices Sourdough Bread
3-4 Tbsp butter, softened

Parmesan Cheese, finely grated (optional)


Mince the jalapeno, and slice the green onions.  Mix the grated cheddar, cream cheese, jalapenos and green onions together.



It should be kind of thick...


Spread a bit (or a bunch) on 2 slices of bread. I like sourdough best of all.


Okay, I need to share ONE MORE trick... this is a great way to make it seems even more like a Jalapeno Popper, but it's not quite as pretty looking.

If you butter the outside of your sandwich and then press it into grated Parmesan and then fry it, low and slow, you will get a nice, crispy, crunchy outside crust to your sandwich... which is very much like a real jalapeno popper that you buy with the crunchy outside.  You do have to watch the heat, because the cheese has a tendency to burn more quickly than just butter would.

No comments:

Post a Comment