Saturday, July 23, 2011

Strawberry Flan (Tart)


This is the first dessert that I remember making on my own, yep, it's that easy!  I think I was about 10 or 11 years old. This was a family favorite for years, fantastic tender cookie crust, custard or cream cheese filling, luscious berries and a sweet glaze.  It's a showy dessert that is easy to make ahead for a party, or even to bring somewhere. It always pleases.

I feel bad that I've taken so long to post this dessert because I realize that optimum strawberry season is mostly over nationwide. 

STILL...  you can still make a great flan with other berries.... like raspberries!

First,
I have to address the name of this... Strawberry Flan... I added "tart" in parentheses so that you would know what I was talking about...

We've always called an open face fruit tart at our house, a Flan (said flan, like plan). 

We called that yummy egg custard dish, creme caramel (no matter what country of origin), so years later I was confused when people call that Flan (FlahN.... make it sound long and kind of hoity toity). 

So I looked it up online trying to figure out if this was something crazy that our family did, or did others call a tart "a flan"???
Whoa....
Lots of explanations out there on tarts, flans, pies and even quiches, some rather heated discussions online. I'm not getting into that, this is a FLAN, and I'm sticking to it. Obviously there are two types of flan...



Pate Sablee (shortbread cookie crust)
Makes about 1- 9" tart pan

8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt


Filling
8oz package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
1-2 tsp Lemon juice

Or use my Pastry Cream recipe from my Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes (shown)



Fruit
2 lbs. Strawberries

Glaze
Red jelly, like currant

NOTE- Works beautifully with the following fruit, especially if you do it in 'rings' of colorful fruit!
-Blueberries
-Raspberries
-Sliced kiwi
-Sliced peaches


You can make the crust in a stand mixer, a food processor or a regular bowl.  Mix all the ingredients just until it starts to hold together. Don't over mix, or it will be tough.



You can roll it out, but I usually just press it into a tart pan with a removable bottom with my fingers.  Use a fork to poke holes in it, that will help it to stay flat while you back it.  Or, you could use pie weights, or uncooked beans. If you use any of the pie weights, use a piece of foil first, then the pie weights. 


Bake for 10-15 minutes at 350 until it is golden on the edges and looks cooked. Cool.


When cool, add the pastry cream, or the cream cheese frosting.



Remove the green strawberry hulls. I like to cut off a small amount of the berry with the hull, so each berry has a flat surface to lie on in the pastry for a uniform look.


Position each strawberry around the edge, trying to fit the berries in a uniform manner so that all gaps are filled.  You will still be able to see the pastry cream a bit, but once you get the glaze on there, it will be filled in!

Like this...


Melt the currant jelly, or other red jelly, in a small saucepan over medium heat until it is smooth, with no lumps.  Let it cool a bit, stirring it occasionally to ensure it stays lump free.  You don't want to use hot glaze or it will "cook" your strawberries.  Using a pastry brush, dab and brush the glaze over each berry, and all the areas between the berries.  Chill until ready to serve.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment