Wednesday, July 6, 2011

'Lime in the Coconut' Rum Ice Pops


I get inspired by anything... yep, in this case a song.  I'm sure you've heard it, but if not you really should acquaintance yourself with it now by watching this YouTube and it will take you back to 1971 in the way back machine!  Let's just say I've been singing this song for a long time...

Otherwise, I better remind you of some of the lyrics...


She put the lime in the coconut, she drank them both up,
She put the lime in the coconut, she called the doctor, woke him up,
Say "Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,
I say, Doctor, to relieve this belly ache?
I say, Doctor, ain't there nothin' I can take,
I say Doctor! let me get this straight".
You put the lime in the coconut, drink them both up,

My husband and brother-in-law are in a basement band with good old buddies and they played this song the other day... we were cracking up, it was so great.  My husband can be kind of a goof, and let's just say that he can sing this song exceedingly well and gets totally into the different characters too.  It's even funnier now that I have seen this Harry Nilsson original recording of a Gorilla singing.

I've been seeing lots of blogs and magazines talking about "Paletas"... which is really just Mexican for "popsicle"... but they have great flavors... and heck, some of them even have booze in them.  I just had to try them, so last time I was at Ikea, I bought this cute little popsicle maker for a $1, but I bet you can get one of these almost anywhere.  After filling my maker, I had some leftover so I froze it in a flat dish and used a fork to scrap it up into a snow cone-like mixture after 45 minutes, then froze for another 45 minutes.  It was yummy too, so suit yourself, or do both, like I did.  I thought about reducing the amount the recipe makes so that it only made 6 pops, but then HEY, I don't know how big your popsicle maker IS, so I left it alone. Aren't I nice?

Anyways, it's almost 80 degrees today and I am HAPPY that I made these. 
P.S. I only had one...


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup lime simple syrup (super easy recipe below...)
1/2 tsp lime zest
1/2 cup white rum, or coconut rum

Lime Simple Syrup:
In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup lime juice with 1/2 white sugar and bring to a boil.  Liquid will be slightly thickened and clear-ish.  Cool.

In a pyrex container with a handle and a pour spout, combine 1 1/2 cup coconut milk*, 1/2 lime simple syrup and 1/2 rum and 1/2 tsp of lime zest. Pour into the molds and freeze for about 3 hours for pops, and about 1 1/2 for the ice granita like mixture.

*NOTE- I bought Coconut milk in the dairy case (because I wanted to try it.. see top picture of ingredients) and it's pretty good, but I noticed it slightly curdled when I combined it with the lime syrup.  You can't tell when it's frozen (still tasted great) but I was a bit worried about it. SO, I also tried a mini-batch with canned light coconut milk and all the same ingredients and it did not curdle. Both are fantastic, but the canned coconut milk is creamier. It's up to you....


Here is what the ice 'snow cone" or 'granita' like mixture looked like... I added more lime zest because I thought it looked nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment