Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Kimchi Fried Rice


Hmmm, Kim Chi... I'm only talking about it because you got this far.  I look at this way, if you thought Kimchi was disgusting, you'd have never opened this posting. 

Even though I am not Korean, I have a deep history and affinity with kimchi.  My oldest niece, at 2 years old, used to pound her high chair at a favorite Korean-Chinese Restaurant and yell "Kim CHI, Kim CHI" until they brought her some.. she was a pale faced, blue eyed, platinum blonde two year... that girl is still the biggest kimchi and habenero pepper eating girl I know.  I like that.

I made this kimchi fried rice to go with Korean Beef Bulgogi... and it was a great dinner!



Serves 5-6
Ingredients:
3-4 cups rice, cooked and cooled (day old is best!)
3/4 cup kimchi, drained, and chopped
2 Tbsp veg oil
1 egg, beaten
4 oz. firm tofu, cut into cubes (about 1/4 of a package)
3-4 green onions, minced
1/2 cup carrots, shredded
1/2 cup broccoli, spinach or other dark green veggie, cut into small pieces
1 tsp sesame oil
Salt to taste (probably don't need much, kimchi is pretty salty to begin with!)
Sriracha to taste... if you like it tangy and spicy

First drain your kimchi, see how I tried to make it look "nice" by using my red colander.  Oh well... I do admit it's not the prettiest stuff.


Then using a non-skillet, or pot, add some oil and fry the beaten egg in a thin crepe-like unit. 

Remove when mostly cooked, remove to a cutting board and cool.  Then shred to thin strips.



Cut tofu

Add veggies to a hot pan with the sesame oil.


Add the rice, then the tofu and the pre-cooked egg.  Adjust seasoning and serve.



No comments:

Post a Comment