Monday, July 11, 2011

Kauai Banana Bread



For years, I struggled with finding a great recipe for banana bread. So many are dry, dull, boring... I tried this one almost 10 years ago, and fell in love.  I wanted sweet intense, moist,  banana flavor, and this one has it.

I've been wanting to do this one on the blog for a while, but I felt weird about the "Kauai Banana Bread" title.... the recipe that was give to me for the Bon Marche department store cookbook was from a gal in Idaho Falls, Idaho (duh...) who had won a blue ribbon at the local fair for. Okay, I'm no fool, you won a blue ribbon??? I am SO trying that... and I loved it, and so did everyone else.  Here's what I struggled with, "Kauai" banana bread?  Really, exactly how many banana trees are grown in Kauai???  Yeah, I've been there a bunch of times, and I have seen exactly ZERO banana trees.  But, when I Googled it, I find that there is some sort of famous Kona Surf restaurant (which is NOT on Kauai... !?!) that is renowned for their Kauai Banana Bread.  So, I guess I'll keep the name...

But a funny thing happened on the way to the blogging... an accident, not a good one either. It's good that my blog does not have audio, because I said some BAD words...


I made this recipe, AND I forgot the eggs...
yeah... the eggs, all four of them. 
I was kinda being rushed out the door to get to the car dealership for service (in the middle of a recipe I may add... ) and so I whomped that mixture into the pans and shoved  it into the oven and set the timer. About 40 minutes later, we were returned to the amazing smell of intense banana aroma throughout the house. While I was waiting for the timer to buzz, I finished cleaning the kitchen.
OMG... I wish I had a video of my face when I saw the bowl of 4 eggs on the counter, waiting to be put into the batter... only... it... is... TOO... late. That bread is going to buzz in like 2 minutes. At this point, you just say, OKAY, let's see what this stuff tastes like.  I am not above throwing it away, but curiosity keeps me in the game.


I DID blab about it on Facebook, so when I wanted to give it away to my neighbors, of course, they asked "oh, the one where you forgot the eggs...?"
Dang it... I shoulda kept my mouth shut! 
But,
GUESS what?  That banana bread without eggs???  Awesome...  I gave it away to three different groups, 2 neighbors + 1 friend, and they all said GOOD.  Now... I need to tell you, just add the eggs and make it like I tell you, but in case you have some sort of intense egg allergy, you can absolutely make it without eggs.  Crazy.. I know! In fact, the photo above is the bread I made without eggs and it looks exactly the same as it always does.



Makes 2 – 1 Lb Loaves
Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
5-6 ripe bananas, mashed
4 eggs, well beaten
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter and flour 2 loaf pans.

First cream butter and sugar together, add bananas and mash them up.  It might be easier to mash in a separate bowl and add to the butter sugar mixture.




Add in vanilla and already beaten eggs.  Mix dry ingredients together and add to the wet mixture. Mix only until almost blended, add walnuts and mix in.  If you overmix, your bread will be tough. 
wet & dry ingredients (do not overmix).

Bake for 45-55 minutes, using a skewer to make sure the center is cooked.  If not, the middle of your loaf will cave in when it cools and make you crazy....

1 comment:

  1. People can use 1 banana for 1 egg in recipes, if they do not have eggs. even though you forgot the eggs, you still had the bananas.

    ReplyDelete