Saturday, July 23, 2011

California Eggs Benedict


WOW, I wish my picture was as great as this tasted.... it sure is hard to photograph things in twos, especially two things covered in yellow sauce! Just KNOW this was so good...

Went to breakfast with some friends a couple of weeks ago, and one ordered California Eggs Benedict and the other Migas.... me?  Well, I didn't have anything because I forgot I had a breakfast date and had already eaten... how sad was I?  Anyways, I was checking out my friend's breakfast and deemed it a great idea, that could use a couple of "Piper Tweaks".

It's such a simple idea, I wonder why we didn't think of it earlier?  Sauteed fresh spinach, avocado, tomato slice and a poached egg on a sourdough english muffin and hollandaise... but oh no.... I could NOT do regular hollandaise on that.  I did Chipotle Lime Hollandaise... which is pretty much the best thing you ever tasted. Learned some new stuff today... did you know that hollandaise needs acid in order to work??? Yep, I had a flop this morning, but I re-made it changing one little thing (Lime), and viola, it worked beautifully. Don't worry about making hollandaise... it's simple can take just 3 minutes!  Here's a link to another blog posting Hollandaise Sauce- Easy Blender Recipe
.
Mr. Meat-Eater (aka 'the guy I'm married to') thought it was great brunch, but that a couple of strips of crisp bacon would have been a terrific addition. But of course, what wouldn't be improved by a couple of strips of crisp bacon?  But this is a rich and flavorful dish, and really, you could just skip the meat.



Serves 2 (with more sauce than anyone should eat... but you probably will)
Ingredients:
2 Sourdough english muffins, split and toasted
2-4 slices of tomato (depends on size & how much you like it)
1 bunch of fresh spinach, chopped
1/2 cup red onion, diced
1 avocado, slices or mashed*
4 egg, poached, or fried

Get some water onto boil, add some salt and about 1 tbsp of white vinegar. (Something about the vinegar helps the egg whites to stay together in the hot water). Once it boils, reduce heat to make it simmer.

Chop your spinach and dice your onion.  Saute the onions in a non-stick fry pan until wilted, then add the spinach.  Cook for just 1-2 minutes until the spinach is wilted too. Season well with salt and pepper.  Set aside.


Slice your tomatoes and your avocados. 

Crack an egg into a small bowl (This makes it easier to 'slide' it into the water). In your hot simmering water, slide the egg into the water.  It make look like the egg white is going everywhere, but it mostly holds together.  Cook each egg about 3-4 minutes for a soft egg, and about 4-5 for a slightly firmer yolk, and no runny whites.


Put the english muffins in the toaster. 

Make the hollandaise (below).

Assemble the  eggs benedict.
1. Muffin half
2. Avocado, *mashed is best... it doesn't slide around like the slices do!
3. Sauteed spinach and onions
4. Slice of tomato
5. Poached egg
6. Chipotle Hollandaise


Chipotle Lime Hollandaise
1 egg yolk
1 chipotle pepper, canned with some adobo sauce
1/2 lime, juiced
1 tsp. dijon mustard, or dry mustard
1/2 cup butter, melted and HOT

Here's my trick for hollandaise, first; melt the butter in a pyrex container in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  Don't even bother to unwrap the butter....


You know why?  Because, it's super easy to remove it when it's done!  I know, I must be pretty lazy...


In a blender, add one chipotle chili with some of the adobo sauce, one egg yolk, 1 tsp of dry mustard and the juice of half  lime.  With the blender running, pour the hot melted butter through the hole in the lid.  It should immediately thicken and be a nice sauce.  I usually add the hollandaise back into the still warm pyrex while I am finishing the rest of the meal.

If you like breakfast as much as I do, here are some other favorites!
What's in the Fridge Frittata
Huevos Rancheros, Mexican Eggs and Tortillas
Piper's Joe's Special

No comments:

Post a Comment