Saturday, June 25, 2011

Breakfast Migas


I thought about titling this dish just Migas... not a silly thing like "Breakfast Migas"... but then I thought, hey what if you don't know what it is?  I needed to get your attention with the Breakfast thing, and then hook you with the Migas... get it? 

Migas is a simple dish of eggs, corn tortillas, cheese and chilies... and whatever else strikes your fancy!!!  I opened up the fridge, pulled out the eggs, cheese and corn tortillas and then started to dig around to see what else I should use up.  Had some awesome leftover "dry" salsa (mix of chopped cilantro, jalapenos and white onion)- check, had some cherry tomatoes - check, had a going brown avocado- check- - -Migas creation coming my way!

There is lots of argument about Migas and the "proper" ingredients and how to make it. Frankly, I just don't care, I do it my way, which for the most part, works for me!

This is a fantastic dish to eat anytime, don't wait for breakfast, it's easy to whip up any time at all.  Migas has kinda a bad reputation as a 'hangover' cure, but frankly, you'll feel better if you eat these after a night on the town then if you wait til morning.  Not that I know, it's just what people tell me...


Serves 2 generously
Ingredients:
5 eggs
2 corn tortillas
2 Tbsp canned green chilies, chopped
1/2 cup cheese of your choice
a small amount of oil

PLUS this is what else you could add:
  • cilantro
  • tomatoes
  • onions
  • jalapenos
  • leftover taco meat
  • chopped sausage or chorizo
  • diced chicken
First, chop your corn torillas into about 1" squares.  Fry in a small amount of oil over medium high heat, until they get some small brown bits, but not too many. 


NOTE:  Many recipes request that you deep fry them first, I feel that is wrong on so many levels (too messy, too fattening, too timely)... the corn tortillas are going to get soft again when you add the eggs, so don't bother. I actually sprayed mine with a little oil and then fried, it worked fine.

Beat up your eggs.  Add green chilies to the tortillas (and anything else you're adding) to warm them up and then add your eggs and cheese.  Stir and cook until combined. Top with more cheese and salsa and serve hot. 


NOTE: I stir continously because I like a soft consistency and no egg "balls" from cooking hard when not stirring.


I had lots of different sauces in the fridge, so I served ours with some green salsa, mole sauce and chipotle sour cream sauce... kind of a sauce 'fest' at the breakfast table. I've been using the mole sauce non-stop since I made the Tequila Lime Pork with Mole Sauce last week, my husband has reached saturation level on it, but not me!  

The only sauce I didn't have was a traditional red salsa, which would have be terrific!


If you need more breakfast inspiration, here are some other favorites:
Piper's Joe's Special
Huevos Rancheros, Mexican Eggs and Tortillas
Eggs Goldenrod
Feta & Spinach Strata

No comments:

Post a Comment