Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Indonesian Pan Fried Noodles- Mie Goreng


I'm thinking if you like Pad Thai noodles, you probably will like these too, but these are less sweet.  Next time I make these, I will definitely spice them up a bit more!

Lots of recipes online make Mie Goreng with Ramen noodles, and I really struggled with that... somehow it just didn't seem right to me.  In hindsight, I think that Ramen noodles would be good, just barely cook them before you fry them as they will continue to cook and you don't want them to break apart. I used pad thai noodles for this because I was at a grocery store with hardly any selection... frankly I should have saved the cash and bought the ramen! Ramen is egg noodles, and Pad Thai is rice noodles, so there's a big difference in texture. If you have an Asian market near you, go buy the fresh noodles, that is the best way to do it.

I apologize that I don't have any other pictures of this dish, or the ingredients, but I made this dish at a friend's house after hiking all day!  We served it with Balinese grilled chicken thighs, which I marinated up ahead of time and brought with me.

Serves about 4-6 as a side dish
Ingredients
8 ounces fine egg noodles, cooked al dente and drained 
6 ounces pork, boneless finely diced or shredded
8 ounces raw prawns, shelled & deveined, if large cut in 2
4 tablespoons peanut oil
3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 fresh jalapeno, or red pepper, seeded and chopped 
2 stalks celery, finely sliced
1 1/2 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1/2 cup fried onion flakes (optional)
4 green onions, Sliced diagonally (optional)
1/3 english cucumber, thinly sliced (optional)

Directions:
Boil the noodles as per instructions but do not over cook them, rinse noodles in cold water, to stop the cooking process. Drain well.
Heat oil in a large wok or frypan. add onion and fry until almost golden. Add chili & garlic, fry 2 minutes more. Add pork, stir and cook until the pork is cooked through. Add prawns cook for 2 minutes or until they are tranlucent and pink.
Add celery, cabbage, cook for 2 minutes The vegetables must still be crisp. Add the balance of the veggies that you are using.  Add soy sauce. Season with salt & pepper.

Add noodles back to the pan, stir fry, turning the noodles into the mixture and cook until all is heated through. Sprinkle with the deep fried onions and serve. Serve with lime wedges and sriracha hot sauce, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment