Friday, May 13, 2011

Hollandaise Sauce- Easy Blender version


Hollandaise sauce is one thing I love when it's homemade, BUT if it's from a mix... well, just keep it.  I can't stand the mixes.... yuck, what's in there anyway???

Now I know that this is not a traditional French Hollandaise, but it's so easy and so good, once you know how to make this, you'll be able to whip it up in no time flat.  You can microwave some broccoli or cauliflower, make some hollandaise, and everyone will think you made a gourmet meal, they will be so blinded by your abilities with this sauce!

Don't forget Hollandaise is also great on fish or Eggs Benedict, just think of the possibilities here!  My favorite Eggs Benedict is not Benedict at all, but is egg, english muffin, smoked salmon, sliced tomato and Hollandaise.... I ate that every morning on a cruise once, and yes, I did gain 10 lbs!!!

Also, Bernaise Sauce is just a basic Hollandaise (without lemon) but added herbs, mainly tarragon and chevril, and sherry vinegar, so it would work too.  I just don't care for tarragon, so I'm not going to make it!



1/2 cup butter, melted
1 egg yolk
1/2 lemon, juiced

I used salted butter for this and don't add any salt, as I like it just like it comes out.  If the flavors are too strong for you, use unsalted butter and less lemon juice.  I actually use a whole lemon juiced, but I like the sauce very tangy.

Get all your stuff ready ahead of time... like this:
  1. Melt butter in the microwave, ideally in the pitcher that you are going to serve it in.  (That way is will be pre-warmed and keep your sauce hot).  When I started this recipe, the butter was about 140 degrees on my instant thermometer.  It works if the butter is cooler, but then your sauce is not hot enough!!
  2. Separate your egg yolk from the white.  Retain the white for another use, like breakfast tomorrow.
  3. Juice your lemon


Add the yolk and the lemon juice to the blender, and blend it up.  With the blender running, pour the butter into the yolk mixture in a thin, constant stream. 


Once you are done, you should have about 1/2 - 2/3 cup of sauce.  You can microwave it on low for 15 seconds at a time to re-heat, but sometimes it can "cook up" or scrambled, so if you need to keep it warm, then place the pitcher in a pot of simmering water to keep it water.  Stir it occasionally until ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment