Sunday, April 17, 2011

Beef Stroganoff


By special request of my daughter, I made Beef Stronganoff the other day.  It mystified me to some degree, because I have only made it once or twice that I can recall in her childhood, and I wasn't sure where this Stroganoff urge was coming from!?!  Nevertheless, off I went to find a great recipe.  My one rule was NOT to use canned Cream of Mushroom soup.... ick, I just wanted to make it all the way from scratch.  It was so much better than the canned stroganoff variety!

The kids and my husband loved the finished dish, so here is the best of the recipes I found online combined here.  Once again... I have to point out that Beef Stronganoff is a homely looking dish, so I apologize for the ugly food!



Serves 4-6 people  
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2  pounds beef sirloin steak, 1/2 inch thick 
8  ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (2 1/2 cups) 
2  medium onions, thinly sliced 
1  tsp garlic, chopped  
1/4  cup butter
1 1/2  cups beef broth (from 32-ounce carton) 
1/2  teaspoon salt 
1  teaspoon Worcestershire sauce 
1/4  cup flour 
1 1/2  cups sour cream 
1 Tbsp Horseradish
1/4 cup parsley, minced
4-5 cups hot cooked egg noodles 

Cut beef across grain into about 1 1/2x1/2-inch strips. Set aside.

Slice Onions in thin strips.


Don't make the mistake I made, use the biggest skillet you have, or even a dutch oven, my batch almost over flowed all over the place!

In a large skillet, cook mushrooms, onions and garlic in butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender; remove from skillet.


Cook beef in same skillet until brown. Stir in 1 cup of the broth, the salt and Worcestershire sauce. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 10 minutes until tender.

Stir remaining 1/2 cup broth into flour; stir into beef mixture. Add onion mixture; heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in sour cream; heat until hot (do not boil). Serve over noodles and sprinkled with chopped green onions or parsley for garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment